Monday, August 17, 2009

Visitors from Home!


Obligatory roadside bear, Haines Junction.

When I asked the people at work who I looked like, they said my dad. I don't know what they are talking about ;-)

Mom and I at Kathleen Lake in Kluane National Park. Super windy!

QT with the 'rents.

Mom and Dad at the BC/Yukon border. They hated having this picture taken, but look how cute they are!

This way to Skagway!
Taking a roadside break enroute to Skagway.


It's always nice to have some visitors. Mostly because they bring thoughts of home and, when it's your parents, they take you for dinner. It's also a great excuse to visit the S.S. Klondike, drive up to Grey Mountain, go to Skagway and generally be a tourist!

I think I already told this story, but it rounds out the visitor entry because I only had two: My first visitor was my cousin Lauren, who got a grad gift from my mom's family of a trip to Whitehorse to visit me (Whitehorse = cool, visiting your crusty old cousin = less cool). I'm not sure what Lauren thought of the mosquitoes and the lack of running water at the Cabin, but then again, I'm not sure what I think of that either!

A few weeks later, mom and dad came up to visit for the weekend. They wanted to see a few things: Kluane National Park, floatplanes and when I suggested a brewery tour at Yukon Brewing they jumped all over that too! We also visited the S.S. Klondike and revived a piece of family history, as the boat was so similar to the boats that my dad's grandfater worked on the Kootenay River and Lake. There is a similarity in the history of the Kootenays and the Gold Rush history of the North...makes me feel kind of at home. We also went to the USA together...I was hoping Pops was going to spring for some diamond earrings in Skagway but as usual he is way too practical for that and knows my mom and I better than to buy us the "Cruise Ship Special" anyway!

When they got home, on a phone call with my mom I asked "how are things?" and she replied "It's terrible Carmen!". This worried me, so I asked what was wrong. She replied "it's just awful. When I went to bed last night, it was DARK out". To which I laughed and valued my summer of light even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment